May 12, 1731 is the official start of navigation on Ladoga Canal
The Canal, previously known as the Petrovsky, was one of the projects of Peter the Great. It became the third major building project of the era, right after St. Petersburg and Kronstadt. The canal was one of the largest hydroengineering facilities in 18th-century Europe and an important strategic defense facility for Russia.
- Address: St.Petersburg, Bolshaya Morskaya ul.,69