On February 15, 1919 on the stage in the Great Hall of the Petrograd Conservatory the Tovstonogov Bolshoi Drama Theater performed a play «Don Carlos» by Friedrich Schiller
This theater became one of the first in post-revolutionary Soviet Russia. In 1992 it was named after the famous stage director Georgy Tovstonogov, who had been managing the theater for thirty-two years. The first performance took about five hours, and though the weather was quite cold and the building had no heating system, every night the hall was filled with theater-lovers.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Fontanka river embankment, 65