On February 2, 1701 Peter the Great introduced the edict for the construction of six 18-guns ships on Lake Ladoga
This became the starting point for creation of the Baltic Fleet. The headquarters of the Fleet was located in Kronstadt. Peter the Great was convinced that the economcal, political and cultural development of Russia depended on the strength of the navy. As a result the fleet he had established not only brought victories in sea battles, but also made a contribution to the worldwide geography thanks to different expeditions and findings. The Baltic Fleet still is the main training unit for young professionals of the Russian navy.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Petrogradskaya nab., 2