Bankovskiy Bridge (Bank Bridge) across Griboyedov channel is nowadays one of the most famous tourist points of the city. Four griffins hold the light construction of the bridge with the decorative chains. The Bridge offers the wonderful view to the Kazan Cathedral, Singer House, Nevsky Prospect and Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. It’s one of Petersburg’s three last pedestrian suspended bridges
The Bridge was constructed in 1826 by V.von Traitteur and V. Christianovitz and has formed the ensemble of the entrance to The State Assignation Bank (which now hosts The University of Economics). The decoration of the bridge was created by famous sculptor P.Sokolov, the author of many animalistic and mystical sculptures, erected on the bridges and buildings of St. Petersburg. He also designed the lions of Lviniy (Lion’s) Bridge and the sphinxes of Egyptian bridge.
Concerts, exhibitions, interesting facts and events of the city. Ask questions and get answers in our groups: