General Staff Building on the Palace square designed by architect K.Rossi is among the most significant buildings of Russian classicism of the beginning of XIX century.
The immense building created for the General Staff and for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs perfectly fits into the ensemble of the Palace square. The majestic monumental arch with a span measuring 17 m incorporates the idea of the victory in the Patriotic war of 1812 against France; it is topped by a six horsed cart, warriors and a statue of Glory.
In 2013 a large-scale reconstruction of the Eastern wing of the General Staff building was completed. Today it houses the exhibits of the State Hermitage museum.
Concerts, exhibitions, interesting facts and events of the city. Ask questions and get answers in our groups: