A historic building constructed in classical style after the project of G.Quarenghi in 1804-1807 for His Imperial Highness Life Guard Mounted regiment. The Manege was deemed for training and for the gala rides of the regiment.
The main façade is accompanied with the statues made by an Italian sculptor P.Triscorni. These are the copies of Dioscuri – the twin-brothers Castor and Pollux. The originals are situated in front of the Quirinal palace in Rome.
Inside there is a large hall for training. The main entrance was decorated as “a gallery for ladies and noble gentlemen”; the premises for the staff were on the other side of the hall.
In the Soviet period the Manege was used as a garage for the NKVD troops. For this purpose the building was reconstructed by making an additional floor. Since 1967 the halls serve as the Central exhibit hall “Manege”.
Concerts, exhibitions, interesting facts and events of the city. Ask questions and get answers in our groups: